Certified long-term care ombudsmen are resident-directed advocates. Ombudsmen are trained to receive complaints and assist residents of licensed long-term care facilities to resolve problems in situations involving quality of care, use of chemical or physical restraints, transfer and discharge, abuse, and other aspects of resident rights.
Your ombudsman will (upon obtaining permission from the resident):
- Advocate for your rights as a resident living in a long-term care facility
- Resolve concerns about your quality of life and quality of care received
- Work with you, your family or friends, and facility staff to meet your needs
- Negotiate on your behalf
- Provide education on how to self-advocate
- Provide education about long-term care facilities as well as other service options in the community
- Help you establish a resident or family council
If you decide to file a complaint or concern with the Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program, here is what you can expect:
- The information we receive is confidential.
- You have the right to remain anonymous.
- The Ombudsman Program staff will review your complaint within 2-3 business days of receipt of the complaint.
- If you provide your contact information, a representative of the LTC Ombudsman Program may contact you for additional information.
- The LTC Ombudsman Representative will follow up with the resident because we are resident directed.
- If the resident or resident’s representative requests and grants permission to receive help from the program, a certified ombudsman will assist the resident or their representative to try to resolve their concerns.
When communicating your complaint or concern to the Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program, be sure to provide the following information:
- The name of the resident(s).
- Your name and contact information (unless you prefer to remain anonymous).
- The name of the facility and the city or county where the facility is located.
- Specific details about the nature of your concern.
To file a confidential complaint with the Ombudsman Program online please click here, and provide your information.